Friday, May 11, 2007

the sound of silence

What is a Yoga Instructor's worst nightmare?

You may think a disruptive student, one that huffs and puffs and moans and groans and keeps everyone else in the class from finding their centeredness.

Or maybe someone who laughs loudly and proudly when an innocent puff of methane is emitted rather loudly into the room (yes this does happen and happen often- my partner in crime and fellow blogini -the delicious and delectable domestic minx can attest to this).

Maybe it is simply that your music of crickets and unicorns stops mid practice.

Yes all of these things can destroy an Instructor's dreams of a smooth flawless class but the absolute worst of the worst : Laryngitis!

Yes, I am unable to speak. It started three days ago with a little scratchy throat and the worries of Uh,oh here we go... a cold is coming on. So off to the drugstore to buy loads of cough lozenges, tea, lemons, honey, tissues, diet 7up, chicken noodle soup, and yes saltine crackers... I was ready.. loaded for bear - a beary bad cold (sorry I couldnt resist- it must be the drugs). But the cold never reared it's head in the form of a head cold.

Instead my scratchy throat turned into the sexiest sex voice I have ever owned. I sounded like Demi Moore after a hard night of drinking and chain smoking. Everyone in my presence looked at me in a way that suggested sex as I spoke. My Yoga classes were fluid and soft like butter and I discovered a yoga cd with all french music that went along with my newfound cfm voice. After class, my male students would hang around and flirt and I knew deep down it was the voice but I didnt care, the attention was amazing -and it really did feed my ego....A few of my fellow female instructors actually asked me to rerecord their outgoing voice mail messages with my alluring words... I was hoping he voice was my new found voice my alter ego in my search for true enlightenment.

The next day: nothing.. no voice- just a harsh whisper that sounded like it came from the mouth of Gollum that nasty hellish creature from Lord of the rings--- Imagine my bright shining face all dressed up in my cutest Yoga outfit from Lulemon and I open my mouth all all that comes out is "My Precioussssssssssss".

Thank god for internet and my ability to write... the sound of my silence is deafening!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my sweeeeet, my preciousssss...
My poor, darling Kimmykat xx

You poor thing! How awfully disabling to be without voice.
And doesn't it always happen when one needs it most!!! Yoga Instruction, for example...
(Can you insert a grrrrr noise here?)
I bet the gravelly voice was gorgeous. I would so love a voice like that. There are quite a number of gravelly voiced people on my husband's side and I just love to hear them talk. Come on, just say something, anything.
So sexy...
I always wish when I get a cold that it will settle in my throat and stay there!!
Instead, there is usually just a vile amassing of phlegm...

I do hope you are feeling better soon darling.
I will be sending you lots of wishes for swift recuperation and perhaps a return to the sexy voice, if nature will have it.

xox

Dallas Meow said...

awful
awful
awful indeed
I know, I have not had a voice since Wednesday -
Well Wishes to you

Anonymous said...

I hope you are not still sick, darling Kimmykat x
Not hearing from you on the web is disheartening indeed, considering your poorly state..

If it is any consolation I am completely bedridden, in excrutiating agony and have a face like a hamster. I am hideous.
And feeling very sorry for myself...

Hope alll is well.
Sending love and hugs and chipmunk kisses.
xxx

kimmy kat's scratching post said...

Thank you both for your kind sentiments.. I have to admit that I kind of like the gravely voice that I have been left with however with the drugs they gave me the scratchy voice is a little slurry at times. It sounds like a cross between demi moore and dudley moore aka arthur (rip) hic-cup..It is nice to be missed and by such kind new friends xx kk